Saturday, January 20, 2018

"Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose, coroner says"

Tom Petty in 2005.(Photo: Karl Walter, Getty Images)
More than three months after rocker Tom Petty died, his official cause of death has been determined as an accidental drug overdose.

Los Angeles County coroner spokesman Ed Winter confirmed Petty's autopsy results, which were written by Chief of Coroner Investigations Brian Elias, in a statement to USA TODAY.

Petty had a mixture of fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl in his system. The musician,66, was found unconscious and in cardiac arrest at his Malibu home on Oct. 3 and died at the UCLA Medical Center that evening.

According to the coroner's report, Petty had fallen asleep next to his wife on the couch in their living room. She momentarily left to go into their kitchen, and upon her return found him unresponsive and not breathing.

Paramedics performed CPR on Petty on site and saw signs of a pulse, but the musician went into cardiac arrest en route to the hospital. Once there, Petty experienced additional cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead roughly 21 hours after being admitted.

2 comments:

OrbsCorbs said...

"Petty had a mixture of fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl in his system."

Jesus Christ! I don't even know what most of those are.

TSE said...

Seems deliberate to me.

It's merely assisted suicide by other means.