Jordyn Noennig, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
In less than a month, legal recreational weed will be closer to Wisconsin than ever before.
Both Michigan and Illinois have legalized marijuana. Some dispensaries already are open in Michigan, and more will open in Illinois beginning Jan. 1.
If you're thinking about traveling south or east for the good green, here's what you need to know.
How can people buy marijuana in Illinois or Michigan?
Recreational marijuana dispensaries generally allow the purchase of marijuana without a prescription and are legal in 11 states. Buyers must be 21 or older.
Marijuana is still illegal on the federal level, so most banks will not allow credit card purchases at dispensaries, so be prepared with cash.
Wisconsin has legalized only cannabidiol, or CBD, the non-psychoactive component of cannabis. CBD can be infused into oils, food, lotions and other products, which are sold in boutiques, bars and restaurants across the state.
What is a dispensary?
Traditionally defined as a place where people can purchase medicine, the term dispensary has been widely adapted by the cannabis community as a place to purchase both medical and recreational marijuana.
Medical marijuana dispensaries are already legal in 29 states, including Illinois, Michigan and Minnesota. Purchasing medical marijuana usually requires a prescription card.
Dispensaries in Illinois
In Illinois, 75 licenses will be issued in the first year. The first round will go to 55 existing medical marijuana dispensaries. As of early December, 30 of the dispensaries have received recreational licenses.
Four of the first 30 Illinois recreational dispensaries are within a half-hour drive from Wisconsin. Two are south of Kenosha:
- The Clinic Mundelein, 1235 Armor Blvd., Mundelein, Illinois.
- PDI Medical III, 1623 Barclay Blvd., Buffalo Grove, Illinois.
Two are south of Beloit:
- MedMar Rockford, 2696 McFarland Road, Rockford, Illinois.
- Mapleglen Care Center, 4777 Stenstrom Road, Rockford, Illinois.
And here are dispensaries within the city of Chicago that have recreational licenses:
- MedMar Lakeview, 3812 N. Clark St.
- Dispensary33, 5001 N. Clark St.
- Maribis, 4570 S. Archer Ave.
- MOCA Modern Cannabis, 2847 W. Fullerton Ave.
- Columbia Care, 4758 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Million Illinois, 8554 S. Commercial Ave.
- The Herbal Care Center, 1301 S. Western Ave.