Monday, July 20, 2020

UPDATE: Racine Police investigating after person shot outside north-side gas station overnight

From The Journal

Eric Johnson

RACINE — A person was shot early Sunday morning outside the 24-hour Marathon gas station at 3024 Rapids Drive, located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Rapids and Golf Avenue. The Racine Police Department is investigating.

“We had a shooting last night up on the north side … up at the Marathon gas station up on Rapids,” Racine Police Department Sgt. Rich Rivers told The Journal Times early Sunday afternoon, noting the department “is still actively investigating” and “trying to piece together what happened and who was involved” in the incident, which encompassed a ”usual after-hour bar time … company of fools” group of 40-50 people. “It was people acting foolish … People go and hang out there late because it’s open. It’s one of the businesses that is foolish enough to stay open 24 hours and it attracts ne’er-do-wells. Because they’re open all night, people congregate there and act a fool.”

Rivers said the shooting victim was transported by private vehicle to Ascension All Saints Hospital before police arrived at the scene, adding that the victim was later taken to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa.

Rivers said that as of Sunday afternoon, nobody had been taken into custody in connection with the incident.

Store manager angry

Interviewed by The Journal Times on Sunday afternoon, Rosie Bala, store manager at Marathon for 10 years, was noticeably angry at some of the regulars who came in and greeted her by name.

“I’m angry, I feel so bad today,” she said. “I give everybody good service. I’ve been working here a lot of years, so this is my business. I say, ‘Why do you do this to me? Why you did like this last night? I love everybody. I give respect. I care for everybody. Why you lose my business?’ I feel so bad. I don’t want to lose my business. I love this place — it’s my … everything.”

Bala said the overnight melee was disturbing.

“A lot of the people come from the bars,” Bala said, showing The Journal Times still surveillance photos of the fight scene outside the station, which spilled into a parking lot immediately east of the station. “Too many people. Big fight. Nobody listens. Maybe they drunk or maybe they drug dealer, I don’t know … I work here maybe five years on nighttime, no trouble … today, I am not happy.”

In the wake of Sunday’s fight, Bala said she is considering ending the station’s longtime 24-hour schedule.

“Maybe I close every day (1 a.m. to 3 a.m.), two hours closed,” she said.


No comments: